Friday, September 25, 2015

                    Trans-national America by Randolph Bourne. 

         This article is about the idea of the melting pot in the United States. Bourne speaks about how we are all foreign born or the defendants of foreign born. He mentioned that we all have a reason for coming to the United States. "The early colonist came over with motives no less colonial than the later." (P. 2 ph. 2 Bourne). "They came to get freedom and live as they wanted." The colonist also came so that they can escape the chaos going on in their own country. 

      I chose to write about this article because I am an immigrant. I was interested in learning a little bit more about how the whole idea of the melting pot started. I always thought that it was a great idea to call The United States a melting pot. As I got older, I noticed that others weren't too interested in learning about a culture different from there's. (p. 2 ph 2 Bourne) They did not come to adopt the culture of the American Indian." A lot of the times I see that people look at you differently once they hear you're an immigrant. I laugh at the thought of them thinking differently of me when they are too defendants of foreign-born. This article gave me a better understanding of why the colonist came here and also how the U.S is not much of a melting pot after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment